Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Milk Scandal

I slumped onto the sofa and switched on the television. It blared on as a television programme started. The voice of the host of “News Five Tonight” drifted around the room. The headline shows “Milk Scandal”. I sighed and withdrew my gaze from the television. Leaning back against the sofa, the scene of the accident I had unfolded before me as I recalled my unfortunate experience two years ago.`
The garlicky stench of perspiration filled the air. Businessmen clad in smart suits were hustling and bustling along hurriedly, glancing at their watches to see if they were late. “What a hot day!” I told myself. At the side of the busy road, there stood a minimart. My heart was full of joy when I saw it. “A minimart! I can finally buy a drink!” I exclaimed. I went and took a bottle of Coke. When I was giving it to the cashier, I found that he was very friendly so I asked “Hi, my name is Jonathan, what is your name?” He said that his name is Mr Lim.
After Mr Lim received the money he rushed to the back of the store. I found that something seems to be amiss, so I followed him to the back of the store. Instead I saw Mr Lim lighting a matchstick and throwing it onto a large pile of boxes. The gentle dancing flame immediately exploded into what seemed like a fiery monster when it touched the boxes. Mr Lim scanned the area and started shouting for help. I went to help, but flames licked at me, sending me shrieking in horror. I tried to get help but there seemed to be not a single soul in sight, all I heard was screams. I crouch low, whimpering. The thick smoke was suffocating me, choking me upon every breath I inhaled. Drugged by sheer fatigue, I felt my last thin thread of consciousness slipping away and I was swept into oblivion.
I awoke finally, finding my in a bright room. It was the hospital!
I asked my parents what had happened, and they told me that Mr Lim set up the fire himself to claim insurance after he could sell away the dairy products made by China. He was caught and sentence to 4 years in jail. I also learnt that that curiosity could kill.

1 comment:

tsooc said...

Dear Jaimond,

Great story. Btw, what has the story got to do with curiosity? Not much link there. Change the ending to a more suitable one to improve.